It’s the end of July and summer vacations are in full swing. If you’re still planning on hitting the open road this summer either for vacation, a quick trip “down the ocean, hon,” or to drive your kids to college, here are a handful of tips the team at Lewis Family Chiropractic and Wellness Center put together to make your road trip(s) more bearable.
- Get comfortable immediately. Take the time to make sure that you are comfortable from the moment you set off on your trip.
- Support your back. Make sure your car seat is supportive. Add additional lumbar support if needed. Don’t recline too much, avoid the “Barcalounger” seat.
- Do not grip the steering wheel. Instead, tighten and loosen your grip to improve hand circulation and decrease muscle fatigue in the arms, wrists and hands.
- Protect the neck. Have head rests up to protect your neck in the event of being rear-ended.
- Take the back seat. If your back pain is proving unbearable and the back seat is available, use it to lie down and rest.
- Take frequent breaks. Go for short walks at rest stops to increase circulation and stretch out the back muscles.
If you do happen to develop back (or any) pain during your travels this summer that does not resolve quickly, please call us at Lewis Family Chiropractic and Wellness Center at 410-876-8885 and make an appointment to come see us when you return.