It wasn’t so long ago that most parents assumed that their kids couldn’t possibly need a chiropractor because they were simply too young. However, it’s a mistake to correlate the need for chiropractic care with age. No matter how young or old a person is, spinal misalignment can lead to altered body performance.
Now, more than ever before, parents are recognizing the many health advantages of chiropractic care for their children. Infants as early as a few days old can be treated with special techniques to carefully correct any misalignment in the spine. Some difficult births result in stress on infant necks which can irritate spinal nerves and cause misalignment. Research by the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association (ICPA) found spinal manipulative therapy safe and successful in treating children of all ages.
Some common problems for which parents have sought chiropractic care for their children:
• Improved immune system, including prevention of colds, ear-aches and general sickness
• Reduction of colic and digestive issues
• Improved respiratory health- including those suffering with asthma, breathing issues and common allergies.
• Enhanced posture and prevention of further spinal misalignment
• Increased focus and energy
• Supported brain and nerve development
• Assistance with bed-wetting and sleep issues
Chiropractors don’t specifically treat the above issues, rather they help normalize spinal function and decrease stress, which allows for better nerve function. If you would like to learn more about the benefits of chiropractic care for your child or teen, please contact us at Lewis Family Chiropractic and Wellness Center at 410-876-8885 to schedule a free introduction with one of our doctors of chiropractic.